Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Medicare, Disability & Social Security

The Department of Human Services was finally open today. I brought the paper that said my Medicaid was cancelled as of January 1st. They told me I need to reapply as I do still qualify for Medicaid. Then, someone else looked at my paperwork and took it away for a bit. When she came back, she said that I now have Medicare and my Medicaid ends on February 2nd. That is good news as far as my appointment tomorrow is concerned. (Can have the appointment with my psychiatrist/nurse practitioner and pick up the Rexulti.) But I still don't have any Medicare cards for February. A friend said they will come in the mail, but I looked through everything I have from Social Security and while it is helpful, nothing mentions Medicare. I may go to the Social Security office in town in a few weeks if I don't get my cards in the mail. I am guessing that I'll have the infamous "Part D" for my prescriptions. Whether this will pay for Rexulti - I looked it up; its about $1000/month!- is still up in the air. (I was debating paying in cash, but that obviously wasn't going to happen!) My appointment tomorrow is in the morning, so I'll have an update for what we decided earlier than later. If we decide to keep Rexulti, I'll go to the pharmacy and pick it up. (Through Medicaid.) If we decide to stay with Zyprexa, I'll be disappointed, but what can you do? Medicare is a new beast. Its better than a sharp stick in the eye. I wish I could have both Medicaid and Medicare, but apparently not. I'm also not sure how long SSI/SSDI lasts. It will only be a year on the back payments, I believe. As for the monthly payments, I don't know. My friend says you can keep Medicare as long as you're still disabled. I don't know how you undo bipolar disorder. So far, even my stable periods always come crashing down when mania or depression come to haunt me again.

1 comment:

  1. You can keep ssdI/medicare as long as you meet the qualifications for disabled. Every so many years (usually 3) they'll do a re-evaluation and make you and a doctor fill out forms just like the first ones when you filed about how you can do with performing a bunch of different tasks. Nearly everyone gets re-approved on this and if you don't you can still be paid while appealing.

    Before you get Med D they'll have you go online and select what plan you want. They vary widely in cost and what is covered/how it is covered. I had to go to an expensive ($68/month) plan this year because it's the only way to get my Clozaril covered. My old plan broke some rules and was cancelled which is too bad; it was a good one. But both are much better than the one I had my first year so that's good. I've not gotten close to the donut hole except the first year because most of my generics have been free or just $5. Name brands I get through patient assistance programs. (I request exemptions and always get them.)

    It's a pain but it will work out for you.

    Beyond the Rainbow

    ReplyDelete