Monday, April 14, 2014

Wise Mind

I have been missing-in-action for a couple of months. Usually, this means that everything is a-ok and I don't have anything to post as this blog is about living with bipolar. However, a friend of mine pointed out that maybe I should post when I am feeling well, too. I thought, "What would that read like- 'I went to the grocery store today. Car needs an oil change'?" My therapist today suggested I try it so with the two of them suggesting this, here I am.

You won't see the colorful writings of mania, I don't think. One thing that's been going on in my life is that my new therapist is working out well. We get along and I'm learning a lot through DBT: Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. I see her on Mondays and then we have a group meeting on Wednesdays, too. The group is fun. What a cast of characters! Every week, there is homework for both therapy and group. We read our homework outloud in the group. One of the things they teach us is how to be in our "wise mind". This is a blending of our emotional and our calculating mind. Its where we are best able to make decisions. Its helped me to not go overboard and get upset several times. There are many other "modules" we learn about, too. Wise mind is just one that comes up often.

No comments:

Post a Comment