Saturday, May 31, 2014

Floating Meditation

Last evening, I took my younger son to the community pool. It had just opened a week before for the season, after having been closed last year for renovations. It wasn't too much different just to look at, but it was nice.

While my son swam with his friends, I had an intrusive thought. It was of self-harm. It took me by surprise and in the sun and water I tried to push it away. It was stronger than I had thought, when it came to me, too. It went into my mind and took over, saying, "This is truth!" The idea of self-harm felt seductive again. I felt myself going down that path. My hair was wet. The water was warm. The sun was beating down hot. I shook it off. I decided to try to float on my back. I had never really gotten the hang of this as a kid, but now it seems effortless. (I'm not sure if its the added pounds from zyprexa or maybe I just "get it" now, but I could do it.)

As I lay on my back in the water, the liquid filled my ears. The sounds were muffled- quiet- and the water lapped in and out of my ear canals, making tiny intermittent "tinking" noises. My eyes were closed. The rest of me was free. I buoyed gently back and forth and felt at peace. Every so often, a voice called out, but I could barely make out what it said. I was transcended. I opened my eyes, seeing the blue sky, but the water sometimes covered them, so I closed them again. I wondered if this is what fetuses experience- but I had to breathe air, of course. I did this several times, opening my eyes in between and looking around. Next time, I will try and not open my eyes for longer- more than a minute.

When I finally stopped and went upright, I felt as if I'd been meditating: relaxed & calm: nothing like several minutes before when I'd had the intrusive thoughts. We are thinking of getting an annual pass to the pool this year. Maybe this can be a new way to meditate for me. The swimming itself is good exercise, even if you're only just wading around, like I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment