Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Comfort (Anti-Anxiety)

A good friend, K, who has taken me to the hospital several times (including the psych hospital) gave me a nice present for Christmas: A heated mattress pad. Last night was my first night with it, so I washed my sheets and self and PJ's and got all ready for bed. Oh how toasty it was and comfy! Fresh and a joyful thing! I had thought it might not be all that warm, but I had it only half way up and was plenty toasty.

On the 21st, I ordered a weighted blanket. (I used the money from my two bipolar studies that I finished this month.) It's a quilted blanket with weights in the pockets/squares. You should order it about a tenth of your own weight. They come in 10, 15 and 20 pounds. They are said to feel similar to the weighted vest at the dentist. Using one is relaxing and even helps you fall asleep. Its also good for anxiety. I can't wait to try mine, but also I can't wait to try it with my heated pad. Several months ago, my psych nurse/pdoc/nurse practitioner took Ativan off my med. list. That means no more anti-anxiety meds for me. I'm hoping that the combination of the heated pad and the blanket will be soothing and comforting so that they will take the place of the Ativan. Better sleep means better mental health, too. Its should be here in another 1 to 2 weeks. I'll update with how I like it when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment