Thursday, November 8, 2012

Jobs

Bipolar people have an issue with jobs. I am not certain why, exactly, but I have come across this issue when reading bulletin boards on the subject.

I would guess that the issue might be that mood episodes just do not go well with doing work well, or, moreover, that having a mood episode while at work is just plain disruptive. Its not only disruptive, but confusing for everyone else. They don't live in your head, as a bipolar person; you're used to it; they are not.

As a result of this, the resume of a bipolar person can be spotty and speckled. I've been "fired" from jobs, without actually being formally fired. I think this a new thing- so they don't have to pay unemployment. I heard of one manager getting sued by the next person she did this to! Why didn't *I* think of that?

Currently, I have no job. I'm glad I didn't back a few months ago when I was manic. If you read those posts, you can see just how disruptive that would be to a job, never mind everyday life. This isn't to say that, when in remission, bipolar people aren't productive human beings. It just means that some days, you might hallucinate at work and have to think about the cost-benefit analysis of continuing to work in that way, or should you say you're sick and risk being labeled a lazy liar.

Jobs are very good for someone with bipolar. It helps with keeping a regular schedule, which help with mood stabilization; a sense of purpose also does wonders.

If, however, you cannot track thoughts because of a mood episode- say, mania- then you just can't. This conflict of "should I say something or not" is difficult and depends very much on the job and the relationship with the boss and coworkers. Some managers are empathetic and kind, while others see you as a cog in a wheel. Its hard, too, when you work somewhere where skill is NOT paramount, but showing up is; you can get replaced very easily and so they are not as likely to be empathic to your specific situation. I had this happen at a job where I was feeling what I thought was a reaction to a medication I was on, and even though I called my doctor and did what I thought was reasonable to this end, the job still decided I was dispensable- even though I was a hard worker!

Should someone with bipolar hold down a job? Of course! There are people with the disease in countless fields. Sometimes, bipolar can be of benefit at work. If you're hypomanic, you're likely to be very productive and organized. How great is that? The problem is, that hypomanic won't last forever. It might turn into a mixed episode, or maybe manic, when hyper-organization turns into buzzing chaos.

What can we do? Talk to your therapist or social worker about this; they have many resources. Try to recognize the symptoms of an episode and head them off at the pass. Be the best employee you can be. Mainly, though, treat yourself well by getting enough sleep, and keeping up on your appointments and medications. These are things we CAN control. A job is a source of great pride and it can be reconciled with the symptoms of bipolar. Keep notes of resources and coping techniques, in case they become needed. Keep the lines of communication open with your friends and family. When these things are done, little things that might come up at work become something to work though, instead of a major deal.

If, after all this has gone on, you still end up not working out with a job, go apply for another.

No comments:

Post a Comment