Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Doing One Thing at a Time

Of the many things I'm learning in DBT, one that stands out lately is doing one thing at a time. They did a study and asked two people to do the same tasks, one all of them at once and one one at a time. Guess who did a better job? Yup. The one who did them one at a time! We talk about being in the moment of what we're doing and doing that one thing well. I know in the past I've found my brain whirring with too many worries while I'm supposedly out doing things fun. If you can just focus on that fun thing and set the un-fun things aside for the time being, you'll feel oh so much better! The same goes with doing too many things at once. You also should be in the moment when you're doing that one thing. If bad things come up, you should simply observe them and then move on. I know I've had a tendency to worry about the bad things with no solutions- just whirring anxiety. Simply observing them and moving on for now is such a better idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment