Saturday, April 26, 2014

Disney World / DBT/ Pseudobulbar Affect

Utopia! The family has planned a trip to Disney World for December. This is something fun to look forward to. I have applied for a job to help pay for this trip. I can't wait to be saving and working! The last time we went was maybe five years ago. The only problem with having a job is working around when I go to therapy on Mondays and Wednesdays. But it will all work out, I think.

Since I've started DBT, I've felt better. I can side-step the downward spiral that so often cascaded me into depression. I might have a negative thought, but I will redirect it, saying to myself, "That can wait," or, "That isn't as bad as you think." I can accept things for what they are and then move forward. It feels good!

I do think back on my posts here when I was manic. I like them because they are so descriptive of my in-the-moment feelings.

There is a commercial on tv lately for a brain disorder called PBA: Pseudobulbar Affect. The commercial very specifically points out that the sufferers burst out in laughter or crying for no "real" reason, yet it is "NOT a psychological condition", but a brain disorder! I always want to jump through the screen and yell that psychological disorders ARE your brain! Bipolar is NOT just someone wanting to feeling manic, or WANTING to feel depressed. Its not a personality disorder. Its as if this PBA were "real" and bipolar is just a personality flaw! The truth is that both are just as much disorders of the brain that are very truly physical in nature, and based in the brain where the emotional centers sit. I have less control sometimes of my brain when I'm having a bipolar episode of mania that some people with PBA do when they begin to having a laughing episode. It starts and I am taken down that path, no matter if I can see it or not. So those of us with bipolar may have more in common with PBA than we think. Although we may not have had a stroke which started this, there is faulty wiring that we cannot control our emotions and thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I HATE that commercial!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it offensive (not to mention inaccurate). Thank you for saying what needed to be said. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personality disorders are also conditions that are not choice and there appear to be biological changes. In addition, personality disorders can be treated- e.g., with DBT!

    ReplyDelete